We all do it. We procrastinate about doing something that needs to get done. You know how it is. You have something you need to do and you put it off. You dread it. You think about it every day, and then put it off again.
Sometimes its just a boring task, like filing your bills. Other times its something your fear, like making a phone call you don’t want to make. And sometimes, it’s just a task that seems to be too big.
Guess what? It isn’t going anywhere. Until you get it done, it will still be there, day after day, looking you in the face.
Why are you procrastinating? Maybe it’s fear, maybe it’s other priorities. Does it matter? It’s still there, waiting to get done.
Here’s the trick, don’t put it off, do it first. Wake up and get it done. That’s it. Don’t schedule it. Don’t say “after I…” Just go and get it done.
You are not doing yourself any favors by delay this. In fact, it is probably causing you more stress than anything else. If you just get it done, you will not only feel relieved, you feel like you’ve accomplished something big. There is no better motivator than accomplishing something else.
Here are a couple of more tricks that may help:
1. Give yourself a deadline and commit to it.
2. Make yourself accountable by promising others when you will complete this task.
3. Break larger tasks into smaller, more manageable pieces.
4. Make daily progress on this, until it is done.
5. Always work on this first thing in the morning, before you are distracted by other priorities.
6. When you feel yourself procrastinating, remind yourself that the task isn’t going away until it’s complete.
You can do this! And once you get into the habit of putting the most difficult tasks first, you will find yourself procrastinating less and less.
(Photo Credits: Pixabay )